Rail Electrification Council
The NEMA Rail Electrification Council (REC) promotes the adoption of electricity as the principal motive power of domestic railroad (freight and/or passengers) transportation and as an enabler of electric grid integration and innovation. The REC will embark on this mission through support for constructive public policies and regulation, development of helpful standards and best practices, effective communications and education, and innovative commercial product development that benefit NEMA member companies and non-NEMA REC members that also support its goals and activities.
NEMA Members manufacture the components, products, and systems that are building an electrified rail infrastructure—one that:
- Utilizes either electric locomotives (hauling passengers and/or freight cars) or electric multiple units (passenger cars with their own motors) as a primary mode of transport
- Includes options for locomotives powered by batteries as well as hydrogen fuel cells
- Generates electricity via large and relatively efficient power stations which then deliver power to the railway network and trains
- Supplies electric power to trains and trams without an on-board prime mover or local fuel supply via a continuous conductor running along the track (e.g. overhead line or a third rail
- Provides better energy efficiency, lower emissions, and lower total operating costs than diesel alternatives while meeting efficacious freight delivery metrics
NEMA Members' Electrified Rail Systems solutions include:
- Products and systems such as capacitors, connectors, insulators, smart meters, switchgear and transformers which enable electricity transmission, distribution, renewable generation, and energy storage for railway electrification
- Industrial automation and control products, such as mechanical, electromechanical, and solid-state devices that monitor, control, or actuate power utilization apparatus that cover the breadth of transportation sectors
- Motors and generators, magnet wire and insulating materials, power cords and cables, and arc welding machines that are essential to an electrified rail ecosystem
The REC and its Members will promote and coordinate the adoption of electrified rail transportation and rail rights-of-way by:
- Developing persuasive business cases, technical analyses, and a communications strategy that explains the value of rail electrification will deliver to the transportation and electric power sectors and to North American economies.
- Identifying the need to develop new or updated Standards and adoption of best practices.
- Developing and executing a communications strategy, informed by business case analyses and the policy environment.
- Working actively with all aligned stakeholders to promote the most effective and economically efficient policies and industry solutions.
- Advocating such changes in transportation public policy and regulation that will promote rail electrification in the interest of jobs and innovation, economic efficiency, resource diversity, and a healthy environment.
- Creating an effective REC organization by recruiting members and identifying the availability of resources.
- Elantas PDG, Inc.
- Hubbell Incorporated
- Preformed Line Products
- Siemens Industry
- The Okonite Company
- WAGO Corporation