The National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) is a trade association that represents the interests of North American electrical equipment and medical imaging manufacturers. NEMA is seeking a highly motivated individual who embodies our core values of respect, integrity, teamwork, and leadership to serve as Technical Field Representative for the Midwest region. The position will promote electrical safety, efficiency, resilience, reliability, and sustainability to electrical inspectors, building code officials, electrical contractors, code-making bodies, and others at the state and local levels.
The position reports to the Managing Director, Technical Field Representatives and is part of a team of four Technical Field Representatives.
The incumbent will work from a home office located in the Midwest Region and will represent NEMA in: AR, CO, IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, MI, MN, MO, ND, NE, OH, SD, WI, WV, and WY. Extensive travel (around 50%) can be expected.
I. Influence building code development, adoption, and enforcement
- Maintain expert knowledge of National Electrical Code® (NEC), International Code Council “I-Codes,” and other related codes including energy, fire, and life safety codes, and any state and local variances
- Promote adoption of building codes without state or local amendments
- Participate in state and local meetings to convey NEMA positions, including at code-making bodies (e.g., NFPA)
- Lead education and training initiatives related to code adoption and implementation in the assigned region
II. Develop and deepen external contacts
- Maintain relationships with electrical and building code enforcement officials and others concerned with safe and effective use of electricity
- Establish coalitions with like-minded organizations, agencies, or influential individuals to promote NEMA positions
- Build effective relationships with relevant code-making bodies (e.g., NFPA, ICC)
- Provide verbal testimony and written public comment at code development hearings
- Assist in retaining and recruiting NEMA members
III. Develop and maintain internal communications
- Maintain contact with NEMA Industry Directors, Program Managers, and Government Relations staff, the last especially regarding code adoption
- Maintain contact with NEMA Members across span of responsibilities
- Notify members in a timely manner of any product, market or installation issues impacting NEMA member products arising in assigned region
- Advise Sections when state and/or local hearings affecting their Members’ products are being held
IV. Locally lead and actively participate in NEMA Natural Disaster Standard Operating Procedures
- Develop key contacts at the state and local levels
- Distribute NEMA outreach materials, guidance documents, etc. to communities impacted by natural disasters and complete tasks outlined in the Natural Disaster SOP
- Assist NEMA member facilities in assigned region impacted by natural disasters
V. Other duties
- Maintain Technical Field Representative State Playbooks; submit intelligence reports on matters of importance to NEMA membership
- Actively monitor and report state and local codes and standards adoption activity
- Represent NEMA as subject matter expert at outside organizations, as needed
- Maintain travel and office budgets
Experience and Qualifications
- High school diploma required; college degree in related field a plus
- 5 or more years of experience as licensed commercial and/or residential electrician required
- Electrical Inspector or Building Code Official experience highly desirable
- Comprehensive knowledge of NEC, I-Codes, and code development processes a plus
- Knowledge of the regulatory environment in Midwest Region advantageous
- Excellent writing and communications skills; demonstrated confident executive presence
- Savvy negotiator; possess ability to resolve disagreements with respect and integrity
- Ability to function effectively within a matrixed organization and execute multiple programs with demanding timelines
- Initiative and desire to learn new areas, especially in digital sphere
- Proficient computer skills, (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, SharePoint, and Outlook) required
NEMA offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package including paid holidays and personal time, flexible working hours, 401(k) plan, health/dental insurance, and partial pre-tax parking/Metro subsidy.
Please apply at https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=7432ce3b-9c91-4d10-b5f9-8b14c0b4bea8&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=444240&source=CC2&lang=en_US&selectedMenuKey=CareerCenter.