The National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) is the U.S. trade association for electrical equipment and medical imaging manufacturers. NEMA develops performance and other product Standards for the electro-industry, crafts and executes advocacy and government relations campaigns, and provides business analytics to assist Member companies with business decisions.
The Manager, Connectivity and Data Policy, is the primary leader on policies, laws, and regulations pertaining to the issues within the position scope. The Manager tracks and analyzes global and domestic government activity, trends in connectivity and data, anticipates challenges to NEMA Members, and identifies options for action. The Manager promotes industry positions to elected officials and regulatory authorities, develops technical comments on rulemakings, and assists in drafting legislation.
The position reports to the NEMA Vice President of Government Relations and is in Rosslyn (Arlington), Virginia. Travel up to approximately 20 per cent of the time is required.
Public Policy Development
- Monitor public policy developments in connectivity and data areas, and evaluate implications of legislative and regulatory proposals in close coordination with NEMA Members
- Prepare position papers, official comments, and draft legislation
- Build and maintain relationships with legislative and regulatory staff and elected officials
- Develop and implement strategies to achieve NEMA advocacy objectives
Advocacy and External Relations
- Advocate for NEMA positions on cybersecurity, data -- including privacy – and connected devices
- Represent NEMA at hearings, consultations, industry events, and conferences
- Engage with media outlets to promote NEMA policy priorities in close coordination with NEMA Communications
Budget and Contract Management
- Develop budget for government relations activities within the position scope
- Oversee contracts with vendors arising from the position's responsibilities, ensuring that contract requirements are delivered on-time/on-budget
- Draft, issue, and evaluate responses to requests for proposals and complete vendor performance evaluation(s) at contract end
Experience and Qualifications
- Three or more years policy formulation, legislative, and/or regulatory experience required
- Undergraduate degree required…advanced degree or certificate(s) related to position a plus
- Familiarity and/or ability to learn about utilization of electricity in industrial, building, lighting, utility and transportation applications highly desired
- Experience in or quickly master, policy implications of electroindustry-relevant applied digitalization, IT/communications connectivity and data generation/utilization
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and possessed of medium level or better skills in office information technology systems
- Demonstrated executive presence in all settings and ability to be persuasive in competitive environments
- Experience managing group activities and working alone and/or in team environment
- Ability to think creatively, critically and be a quick study on wide variety of topics
- Knowledge of government ethics rules and reporting/compliance requirements
- Committed to professional development and willingness to take on new challenges
NEMA offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package including paid holidays and personal time, flexible working hours, 401(k) plan, health/dental insurance, and partial pre-tax parking/Metro subsidy.