The National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) is a trade association an accredited Standards Development Organization (SDO) representing manufacturers of safe, reliable, and efficient electrical and medical imaging technologies. In an industry that is connected, digital, and rapidly evolving, NEMA supports its Members by developing industry Standards, advocating for government policies, and providing decision-grade business intelligence.
The Program Manager, Transportation and Building Infrastructure oversees national and international technical programs—including Standards and building code development—for several Sections within the Transportation Systems Division and Building Infrastructure Division. For example, these Divisions include transportation management and control systems, electric transportation systems, and electric infrastructure technologies installed in buildings. The ideal qualified candidate has technical/engineering skills and background in transportation, telecommunication, electronics, and/or digital/network systems.
The position reports to the Vice President of Operations and Strategy and is based in Arlington (Rosslyn), Virginia. The position includes up to 30 percent travel, both domestic and international. Part-time telework is available per NEMA policy. The incumbent will take on additional tasks as needed.
Program Manager (PM) is a subject matter expert on transportation systems and building electrical infrastructure and expands existing NEMA technical capabilities in those areas
I. Plan and execute technical programs related to assigned products
- Develop technical strategies and project plans; identify and execute opportunities to write new Standards, technical reports and articles.
- Develop multi-year work plans and budgets aligned with Division/Section strategic plan(s); track progress and expenses, deliver technical work on-time/budget
- Plan logistical arrangements, manage meetings, prepare meeting minutes and distribute associated documents
II. Lead development of new technical Standards and modifications to building codes to promote Members' products and systems
- Identify, initiate, and complete new technical work products
- Ensure compliance with technical procedures related to codes and Standards development, harmonization, revision, and reaffirmation (e.g., NEMA, ANSI, IEC, CANENA, National Electrical Code®)
- Oversee Standards harmonization among the United States, Canada, and Mexico through CANENA (Council for Harmonization of Electrotechnical Standards of the Nations in the Americas)
- Manage work of U.S. National Committee Technical Advisory Groups to influence International Electrotechnical Committee (IEC) Standards, including adoption of North American Standards in-whole or in-part
- Serve as Secretary for various Standards development committees
III. Build/maintain personal relationships with NEMA Members, internal and external committees and organizations, and key participants in Standards development process
- Work effectively with Members to complete technical projects
- Develop and maintain relationships with technical organizations and Standards developing organizations with which NEMA works on regular basis
- Proactively communicate membership value proposition and encourage participation in technical activities to retain existing Members
- Assist in identifying prospects and recruiting new Members
Experience and Qualifications
- Undergraduate degree in electrical engineering, computer science, or similar discipline required; advanced degree a plus
- Five or more years of full-time experience in related field(s); experience in manufacturing, maintenance, installation, testing of related electrical/electronic products or comparable military experience a plus
- AStd or CStd Standards professional certification a differentiator
- Familiarity with Standards development procedures (e.g., ANSI, IEC) and code development (e.g., National Electrical Code)
- Knowledge of existing and emerging transportation and building technologies
- Project management, time management, and budgeting skills; ability to execute multiple projects against demanding timelines
- Ability to quickly, fairly, and diplomatically resolve conflicts and solve problems
- Ability to clearly and persuasively write, speak and represent technical matters and exhibit executive presence in all settings
- Motivated to seek new challenges with a creative and learning mindset
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite; experience using online collaboration and communication software (e.g., SharePoint, Teams)
NEMA offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package including paid holidays and personal time, flexible working hours, 401(k) plan, health/dental insurance, and partial pre-tax parking/Metro subsidy.
Interested individuals should send a current resume, specifying salary requirements, to https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=7432ce3b-9c91-4d10-b5f9-8b14c0b4bea8&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=356532&source=CC2&lang=en_US. EOE/M/F/V/D.