Industrial Imaging and Communications
Industrial imaging and communications systems,
devices, software, and accessories are used for security and protection.
Industrial imaging and communications technologies capture digital
images, transmit them, and integrate digital images with associated
passenger, animal, baggage, and cargo scanning, inspection, and
The equipment and systems perform at least one of the following functions:
- Digital image acquisition, inspection, transmission, and storage
- Digital electronic display that is capable of being used for more than one image acquisition device
- Communication using secure telecommunications networks as well as streaming video
- Image and metadata encoding and decoding with integration into other information systems
- Non-image-based (e.g., trace) detection.
partnership with U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the
Transportation Security Administration (TSA), Members maintain NEMA IIC 1
Digital Imaging and Communication in Security (DICOS), which
standardizes an exchange protocol of images and metadata that result
from security scans, with an emphasis on airport security examinations.