The Electric Transmission & Distribution SF6 Coalition
The Electric Transmission and Distribution SF6 Coalition, hosted by NEMA, is an industry organization for discussion of SF6–related issues. Sulfur hexafluoride (SF6) is an inorganic, colorless, odorless, and non-flammable chemical that is used as an insulator.
The coalition focuses on the use of SF6 in electrical transmission and distribution equipment and serves as a forum for industry interaction with public officials surrounding SF6 reporting and emissions-reduction regulations.
The ongoing dialogue on climate change gives the coalition new opportunities to help SF6 producers and users prepare for eminent changes related to SF6 and its impact on public policy. The coalition's mission is to
- To provide a forum for equipment manufacturers using SF6, SF6 producers and distributors, and transmission and distribution equipment owners for discussion of environmental concerns of SF6 as a greenhouse gas
- To increase awareness of lower climate impact substitute gases for SF6 and/or alternative technologies that minimize impact on public health and the environment;
- To develop best practices and recommendations related to sustainable SF6 usage in electric power transmission and distribution
- To advocate the Coalition positions to federal, state, and local policymakers
- To maintain liaisons with government and industry groups such as U.S. EPA, IEEE, EEI, IEC, CIGRE, and EPRI
Current coalition membership includes representatives of electric transmission and distribution equipment manufacturers, SF6 producers and distributors, regulatory agencies, and industry-related service companies.
|Airgas Specialty Gases
||Concorde Specialty Gases
||Electronic Fluorocarbon LLC
|G&W Electric Company
||GE Grid Solutions
|Mitsubishi Electric Power Products Inc.
|Sacramento Municipal Utility District
||S&C Electric Company
|Southern States LLC
||Toshiba International Corporation
|WIKA Instrument Corporation
Regulatory agencies such as U.S. EPA, California Air Resources Board and Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection frequently attend the semi-annual coalition meetings held at NEMA headquarters each spring and fall. In addition, industry organization such as the Energy Power Research Institute, American Public Power Association and the Edison Electric Institute also attend as invited guests.
We encourage electric generation and T&D companies to join the Coalition; it presents an opportunity to work with other stakeholders and federal and state regulators to provide industry's best guidance as they address SF6 usage and emissions.
To learn more about the Coalition please contact Jonathan Stewart at NEMA at 703-841-3245 or firstname.lastname@example.org