The International and Regional Standardization Committee (IRSC) is responsible for representing, supervising and coordinating all work of the Association in the development and implementation of International/Regional programs that address technical standards, product and manufacturing regulations and their respective conformity assessment systems. The latter includes evaluation and promotion of specific conformance criteria through development of Association position statements on required and proposed product marking systems and market access requirements. The IRSC, in collaboration with the NEMA sections, is required to propose, and implement strategies and tactical programs to meet NEMA member company needs that meet NEMA agreed standardization policies and strategies expressed by the NEMA Standards and Conformity Assessment Policy Committee (SCAPC) and to coordinate with the appropriate NEMA committees.
The membership of the International and Regional Standardization Committee (originally established in 1984) consists of officers or employees of members of the Association.
The IRSC appoints sub-committees for long term interest areas and/or task forces to address short term issues that make up the working agenda of the IRSC committee.
A major topic within the scope of the IRSC is Conformity Assessment. Within this area, IRSC is responsible for representing, supervising and coordinating all work of the Association in the development and implementation of international / regional / National programs that address conformity assessment systems. These responsibilities include evaluation and promotion of specific conformance criteria through development of Association positions on required and proposed product marking systems and market access requirements.
The IRSC is a policy committee that reports to the NEMA Standards and Conformity Assessment Policy Committee (SCAPC). In addition to other powers and duties granted or prescribed by the SCAPC from time to time, and subject to the supervision and direction of the SCAPC, the scope of the Committee is to:
- Define objectives and establish priorities to achieve timely and comprehensive positions on standards and conformity assessment issues of interest to NEMA.
- Monitor the international, regional, and other activities of individual NEMA subdivisions including NEMA International offices, together with activities of the national, regional and international organizations actively participating in markets of interest to NEMA members, and then implement strategies and actions to achieve NEMA member company needs.
- Maintain primary responsibility and contact in the international activities of national, regional, and international organizations.
- Implement all NEMA international and regional strategy activities.
- Support NEMA subdivision activities for participation in international and regional standards development.
- Direct coordination between the Technical Services and Government Affairs departments for regulatory issues, particularly related to standardization and conformity assessment.
- Develop NEMA positions for input to the USNC and IEC, and other international or regional standards bodies, activities including policy statements, strategic goals, advisory committee actions, guides for participants, etc.
- Global certification issues, develop action plan and coordinate sections responses.
- Serve as a resource for the NEMA Regional Offices on subjects concerning standards and conformity assessment issues.
Core Agenda Topics:
Periodically the IRSC identifies topics that are of particular interest and are anticipated to be mission critical for some period of time. These topics are added to the IRSC Core Agenda and relevant information is made available for NEMA members only in a designated folder within Workspaces.
Succession Planning & IEC/USNC Training
Also among the responsibilities of the IRSC is the implementation of Succession planning to ensure continuity of representation in USNC and IEC activities, through training and identification of viable candidates for new and opening positions within those organizations. A number of training activities are available at the IEC & USNC Training web page.
Implementation of the Succession plan will include development of a database of participants that will be staff searchable to identify candidates for positions of interest. Individuals will be able to maintain and update their own information and will be able to link to descriptions of the criteria considered important for various positions within USNC and IEC along with links to training that will fulfill part of those criteria.
Contact Ken Gettman (email@example.com or 703-841-3254) for a current list of IRSC members or additional information.