State of South Carolina
The 2018 South Carolina Building Codes have been adopted by the Building Codes Council, and the modifications to the Codes have been approved by the South Carolina General Assembly. The list of code modifications can be accessed HERE. The Codes with their modifications will go into effect on January 1, 2020.
The mandatory building codes adopted for use in South Carolina and which must be enforced by all municipalities and counties beginning January 1, 2020 include:
- 2017 National Electrical Code (NFPA 70) with SC modifications
- 2018 South Carolina Building Code or the 2018 International Building Code with SC modifications
- 2009 South Carolina Energy Conservation Code
- 2018 South Carolina Fire Code or the 2018 International Fire Code with SC modifications
- 2018 South Carolina Fuel Gas Code or the 2018 International Fuel Gas Code with SC modifications
- 2018 South Carolina Mechanical Code or the 2018 International Mechanical Code with SC modifications
- 2018 South Carolina Plumbing Code or the 2018 International Plumbing Code
- 2018 South Carolina Residential Code or the 2018 International Residential Code with SC modifications
The latest edition of ICC A117.1, Standard for Accessible and Useable Buildings and Facilities, is adopted by the Accessibility Act and mandatory for use in all municipalities and counties within the state.
If you need further assistance regarding these changes, please contact the South Carolina Building Codes Council, at 803.896.4688 or by email at BCC@llr.sc.gov.
Contact: Bryan Holland, Bryan.Holland@nema.org