Commonwealth of Virginia
The Commonwealth of Virginia has announced the start of the 2018 Virginia Codes update process. New this cycle is a requirement for a resiliency impact statement for each proposal in accordance with Governor Northam's Executive Order 24. The cdpVA automated online system will again be utilized to allow stakeholders to create code change proposals and to access additional information about the 2018 Virginia Code update process. The cdpVA system went active on February 18, 2019 and is now accepting proposal submittals.
(5) workgroups have been created to review the 2018 I-Codes, 2017 National Electrical Code (NEC), and proposed amendments submitted by the public. (2) meetings are planned for each workgroup during the proposed regulation phase of the process to discuss issues identified as problematic along with the code change proposals that have been submitted.
- Workgroup 1 covers the administrative provisions of the VCC, VMC, VRC, and SPFC. This includes VADR/ADTAC (amusement rides), VCS/BCAAC (certification requirements), IBSR (modular buildings), and MHSR (manufactured housing). Workgroup 1 will meet on March 26, 2019 and July 10, 2019.
- Workgroup 2 covers the technical provisions of the VCC, VMC, VRC, and SFPC (IBC, IFC, IEBC, IPMC, and other model codes). Workgroup 2 will meet on April 10, 2019 and July 24, 2019.
- Workgroup 3 covers the residential provisions of the VCC, including the trade and energy provisions of the IRC. Workgroup 3 will meet on May 15, 2019 and August 7, 2019.
- Workgroup 4 covers the technical trade provisions of the VCC, including the IPC, IMC, IFGC, and NEC. Workgroup 4 will meet on June 5, 2019 and August 21, 2019.
- Special Workgroup (Fire Code Edits) will hold two special full-day meetings for the purpose of reviewing recommended changes from the FSB sub-workgroup to the SFPC edits in Chapters 20-67. This workgroup will meet on May 23, 2019 and August 14, 2019.
All workgroup meetings are scheduled to begin at 9:30 AM unless otherwise noted and are tentatively scheduled to be located at the Virginia Housing Center, 4224 Cox Road in Glen Allen, VA. 23060. More information and updates on the code development process can be found on the Virginia DHCH website by clicking HERE.
Contact: Bryan Holland, Bryan.Holland@nema.org