The National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) published
ANSI C18.2M, Part 1-2013
American National Standard for Portable Rechargeable
Cells and Batteries—General and Specifications.
This publication applies to portable rechargeable, or secondary, cells and batteries
based on the following electrochemical systems:
- Nickel-metal hydride
- Lithium-ion including lithium ion polymer
Changes in this edition include:
- alignment of definitions between all ANSI C18 standards
- harmonization with IEC standards wherever possible
- improved readability of the terminal arrangements section
- included Li-ion polymer batteries
- added storage adjusted capacity
- added application charge performance test
Section 1 of this standard contains general information and all standardized performance and mechanical tests upon which all the specifications in Section 2 are based.
Section 2 specification sheets list those tests and requirements described herein that are required for each battery.
Part 2 of this standard describes all safety tests and requirements.
C18.2M, Part 1-2013 may be purchased in electronic or hardcopy format for $94 on the NEMA website.
The National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) represents 350 electrical and medical imaging manufacturers at the forefront of electrical safety, reliability, resilience, efficiency, and energy security. Our combined industries account for more than 400,000 American jobs and more than 7,000 facilities across the United States. Domestic production exceeds $114 billion per year and exports top $50 billion.