The National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) published
ANSI C18.2M, Part 1-2013
American National Standard for Portable Rechargeable
Cells and Batteries—General and Specifications.
This publication applies to portable rechargeable, or secondary, cells and batteries
based on the following electrochemical systems:
- Nickel-metal hydride
- Lithium-ion including lithium ion polymer
Changes in this edition include:
- alignment of definitions between all ANSI C18 standards
- harmonization with IEC standards wherever possible
- improved readability of the terminal arrangements section
- included Li-ion polymer batteries
- added storage adjusted capacity
- added application charge performance test
Section 1 of this standard contains general information and all standardized performance and mechanical tests upon which all the specifications in Section 2 are based.
Section 2 specification sheets list those tests and requirements described herein that are required for each battery.
Part 2 of this standard describes all safety tests and requirements.
C18.2M, Part 1-2013 may be purchased in electronic or hardcopy format for $94 on the NEMA website.
Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) represents nearly 350 electrical
equipment and medical imaging manufacturers that make safe, reliable, and efficient products
and systems. Our combined industries
account for 360,000 American jobs in more than 7,000 facilities covering every
state. Our industry produces $106 billion shipments of electrical equipment and
medical imaging technologies per year with $36 billion exports.