Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Google Plus  |  LinkedIn  |  Print

Carbon Monoxide (CO) Poisoning Prevention Event Held in Chicago

12/19/2013 2:00PMSign-up to receive press releases.

Today, the National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) co-hosted an event with the Chicago Fire Department, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, and First Alert on the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning and tips families can take to prevent tragedies during the winter season, when the danger of such is greater. The event took place at Chicago Fire Department, Engine Company 70.

According to Debbie Hanson, spokeswoman for First Alert, a NEMA member company, one of the most effective ways to reduce the incidence of CO poisoning is to ensure that effective carbon monoxide sensing, detection, and notification devices are installed in residential and other places where people sleep. First Alert donated CO detectors to be given away to families in Chicago.

Heightened awareness of the danger of carbon monoxide poisoning is all the more important given what transpired this morning.

CBS Chicago reports that 13 people were hospitalized today after they became sick as a result of a carbon monoxide leak at an apartment building located in Skokie, a suburb of Chicago. The station reports that investigators blamed the leak on a faulty furnace.

Illinois has enacted statewide carbon monoxide laws, codes, and regulations. U.S. Rep. Jan Schakowsky’s (D-Ill.), who attended the event said, “Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and invisible killer. Hundreds of Americans die each year as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning from portable generators, natural gas leaks, and other causes. That is why it is critical to have these carbon monoxide detectors in our homes. The Consumer Product Safety Commission has been hard at work to warn consumers about the risks of carbon monoxide and ways to protect their homes, and I will work to make sure the Commission has the resources it needs to continue doing its important work.”

Carbon monoxide alarms and detectors can be purchased at minimal cost and are available at retail, hardware, and home improvement stores nationwide.

To learn more about the dangers of carbon dioxide poisoning, download NEMA’s podcast “Protect yourself from the Silent Killer” here: http://www.nema.org/news/Pages/Protect-yourself-from-The-Silent-Killer.aspx 

​NEMA is the association of electrical equipment and medical imaging manufacturers, founded in 1926 and headquartered in Rosslyn, Virginia. Its 400-plus member companies manufacture a diverse set of products including power transmission and distribution equipment, lighting systems, factory automation and control systems, and medical diagnostic imaging systems. Total U.S. shipments for electroindustry products exceeds $100 billion annually.

Press Contact:
Phallan K. Davis
(703) 841-3282

​ ​


Copyright © NEMA. All rights reserved. (703) 841-3200, 1300 North 17th Street, Suite 900, Arlington, Virginia 22209