The National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) published a revision of ANSI/NEMA HP 8-2013 Electrical and Electronic Crosslinked, Modified Low Smoke Polyolefin (XLPO) Insulated Hook-Up Wire, Types LS (rated 105°C; 600 V), ZHDM (rated 90°C; 600 V), ZHDH (rated 90°C; 600 V), ZH (rated 125°C; 600 V), and ZHX (rated 125°C; 1000 V).
ANSI/NEMA HP 8 covers specific requirements for crosslinked, modified polyolefin insulated solid and stranded wire, designed to the internal wiring of high reliability electrical and electronic equipment. It addresses 600 volt (Type LS, ZHDM, ZHDH, ZH), and 1000 volt (Type ZHX) wire and permits continuous conductor temperature ratings of -40ºC to + 90ºC, 105ºC, or 125ºC with either tin- or silver-coated conductors. These types of hook-up wire are used when the following requirements are called for:
- Moderate temperature resistance
- Low temperature resistance
- Good dielectric constant (Type ZHDM and ZHDH)
- Moderate dielectric constant (Type LS)
- Good flexibility and flex life when stranded conductors are used
- Solder iron resistance for easier solder terminations without potential damage
- Low smoke (Types LS, ZHDM, ZHDH, ZH, ZHX)
- Zero halogen (Types ZHDM, ZHDH ZH, ZHX)
- Low toxicity (Types LS, ZHDM, ZHDH, ZH, ZHX)
- Low acid gas generation (Types LS, ZHDM, ZHDH, ZH, ZHX)
The major revisions to this standard include a reference to ANSI/NEMA WC 67-2012 Standard for Uninsulated Conductors Used in Electrical and Electronic Applications and the removal of internal references.
Contents and scope of ANSI/NEMA HP 8-2013 may be viewed, and hard or electronic copy purchased for $63 on the NEMA website.
NEMA is the association of electrical equipment and medical imaging manufacturers, founded in 1926 and headquartered in Arlington, Virginia. Its 400-plus member companies manufacture a diverse set of products including power transmission and distribution equipment, lighting systems, factory automation and control systems, and medical diagnostic imaging systems. Worldwide annual sales of NEMA-scope products exceed $140 billion.
Press/Public Relations Contacts:
NEMA Communications Department
Email: Contact Form