NEMA Members receive the following benefits via the Field Representative Program:
- Convey NEMA positions to members of the International Association of Electrical Inspectors (IAEI).
- Participate in local electrical code revision processes to promote sound safety regulations.
- Serve as NEC® workshop instructors and promote the understanding of new product installation methods.
- Maintain contact with electrical inspection authorities to ensure the proper use of electrical products.
- Communicate valuable feedback from installers, contractors, builders, and other end-users of electrical products to member manufacturers.
Jack Wells, VP - Pass & Seymour/Legrand
The following excerpt from Gil Moniz’s Trip Report is a great example of how an effective NEMA Field Representative can play a key role in advancing the NEMA objective of the uniform adoption of most recent edition of the NEC.
On Monday December 15, 2003 the New York City Council passed Intro Bill # 581A by unanimous vote (50 to 0). Mayor Bloomberg is scheduled to sign the bill on Monday, December 22, 2003 at 11 a.m. in the City Hall Blue Room. Intro Bill #581A adopts the 2002 edition of the National Fire Protection Association NFPA 70, National Electrical Code, with 272 amendments. A total of fifty-one amendments were deleted this cycle.
This is great progress, especially since NYC didn't adopt the NEC until a few years ago. and the NEMA Field Representative was instrumental in that. This is the way the Field Program supports all NEMA member companies.
- Elaine Thompson, Director of Industry Affairs, Technical Liaison - Allied Tube & Conduit
Dear Gil (NEMA Field Rep.):
Thanks again for clarifying the status of NYC amendments to the NEC and for the information on referenced documents. I had been trying to find the information on-line, but it turned out that calling our NEMA Field Rep was much, much faster!
It was helpful, too, that you serve on NYC code committees and have the inside story as to what is happening in that arena.
And one more thing, Gil. I really appreciate your calling me at 9:30 p.m. your time, after what I am sure was a long day at work.