State of Mississippi
Mississippi has enacted its first statewide building code. Senate Bill 2378, which amends Title 17, Chapter 2 of the Mississippi Code of 1972, has been signed into law and takes effect on August 1, 2014.
(1) Except as provided in Section 17-2-1(1) and subsection (3) of this section, a county board of supervisors or municipal governing authority shall adopt and amend as minimum codes one (1) of the following as the State Uniform Construction Code:
(a) One (1) of the last three (3) adopted editions of the International Building Code (IBC) and any specific appendix or appendices as adopted and amended by the Mississippi Building Codes Council;
(b) One (1) of the last three (3) adopted editions of the International Residential Code (IRC), and any specific appendix or appendices as adopted and amended by the Mississippi Building Codes Council, with the exception of those provisions that
require the installation of a multipurpose residential fire protection sprinkler system or any other fire sprinkler protection system in a new or existing one- or two-family dwelling;
(c) Other codes addressing matters such as electrical, plumbing, mechanical, fire and fuel gas, and any specific appendix or appendices as adopted and amended by the Mississippi Building Codes Council.
(2) In addition to the codes required under this section, subject to the provisions of subsection (3) of this section, a county or municipality may adopt construction codes that are not less stringent than the codes adopted in subsection (1) of this section.
(3) Within one hundred twenty (120) days after the provisions of this section go into effect, the board of supervisors of a county and/or the governing authorities of any municipality within a county, upon resolution duly adopted and entered upon its minutes, may choose not to be subject to the code requirements imposed under this section.
(4) These provisions do not apply to those buildings exempt from enforcement in Section 17-2-7 and Section 17-2-9.
(5) These provisions do not apply to manufactured homes or mobile homes as defined in Section 75-49-3.