The Medical Imaging & Technology Alliance (MITA), a division of the National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA), is the collective voice of medical imaging equipment manufacturers, innovators, and product developers. It represents companies whose sales make up more than 90 percent of the global market for advanced imaging technologies.
MITA technologies include:
- Computed tomography (CT) scanners
- Nuclear imaging
- Radiation therapy equipment
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Imaging information systems
- Medical X-ray equipment
MITA provides leadership for the medical imaging industry on legislative and regulatory issues at the state, federal, and international levels. It serves as an advocate for fair legislative and regulatory proposals that encourage innovation, investment in research and development, and the continued global competitiveness of the medical imaging industry.
MITA is also a leading standards-development organization for medical imaging equipment. These standards are voluntary guidelines that establish commonly accepted methods of design, production, testing and communication for imaging and cancer treatment products. Sound technical standards of this kind improve safety and foster efficiencies in how care is delivered.
- Increase the awareness and understanding of the value of medical imaging
- Achieve efficient and reasonable regulation of medical imaging technologies
- Interact with appropriate government agencies on reimbursement and technology assessment policies
- Expand the global acceptance of the MITA digital communications standard (DICOM) that allows digital imaging technologies to interact seamlessly
- Improve regulatory harmonization of the global market for medical imaging products
- Develop and represent industry positions in technical, trade and other issues
- Provide market data unique to this industry
Please visit the MITA website at www.medicalimaging.org