The Industrial Automation Control Products and Systems Section represents manufacturers of mechanical, electromechanical, and solid-state devices, components, and controls. The equipment is primarily used in industrial applications to monitor, control, or actuate power utilization apparatus, including motor regulation. Click for detailed product scope information.
The Section members develop technical standards and guidelines, collect market statistics, influences government affairs and trade issues, and develops marketing programs for the benefit of users and manufacturers. For a list of Section officers, click here. The product links to the left provide list of product manufacturers and associated standards.
Below is information on the section activities:
- Standards development - NEMA IS standards are used throughout the country, and in many parts of the world, to specify industrial automation and control products, and to aid in the selection and application of these products. The most recent versions of IS standards and application guides are available for free downloading by listing by product on the left, the list at the bottom of the page, or by using the Search feature in the Standards item at the top of the page. You may purchase a paper copy from Global/IHS at 1-800-854-7179.
- The IS Section actively works with US, Canadian and Mexican bodies on regional standards through CANENA.
- Influence international standards - IS committees develop industry input used in the development of US positions on IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission) and ISO (International Organization for Standardization) standards. The IS Section also administratively supports selected US National Committee Technical Advisory Groups (TAGS) to the IEC, and US TAGS for ISO automation activities.
- For a list of Technical Committees, click here.
Through NEMA, member companies develop and implement tailored, industry-specific market and statistical programs that benefit participating companies. Reports may include:
- Product orders and sales
- Shipments by trading areas
- Market forecasting
To view the information collected click on Templates. The Section publishes a quarterly industrial control business index available at Index. Additional NEMA business information services can be viewed via the Business and Economy link at the top of the page.
The Industrial Automation Control Products and Systems Section is engages in representing its membership in a range of governmental issues effecting industrial automation and controls products. These include US domestic, regional and international issues. Examples of areas of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Tariff reduction, especially including programmable controllers in the Information Technology Agreement II negotiations
- OSHA and other regulatory agencies that effect electrical products
- Product liability and statute of repose issues
- Climate change, electromagnetic interference, and other environmental issues
Membership in NEMA is open to any firm actively engaged in the manufacture in North America of a product within the NEMA scope and for sale in the open market. Membership of foreign firms is subject to product section policies and NEMA Board of Governors approval.
NEMA operates on a fee-for-service basis. Each product section establishes its projects and activities and approves an annual operating budget.
For more information on joining NEMA or this section, please see the membership center.