The Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment/Systems Section represents manufacturers of products or assemblies installed for the purpose of safely delivering and managing electrical energy between an electric vehicle and an electrical source. The purpose of the EVSE Section is to support the development of the EVSE market by leading efforts to educate the market on the features and value of the electric vehicle supply equipment infrastructure around the world.
The Section provides a forum for industry efforts to:
- develop consistent positions for domestic and international codes and standards ensuring safety and interoperability of equipment
- build support for the EVSE market through marketing programs and business information
- organize a unified industry position on legislative and regulatory issues
- develop collaborative efforts, such as training programs, with members of the EVSE supply channel, including contractors and installers
- align efforts with major stakeholders in the EV market, including auto manufacturers, utilities, and the federal government
- drive business and technology change with global strategies for an EVSE sector
The goals of the Section are to:
- demonstrate and promote EVSE technologies and best practices necessary for electric vehicles and EV infrastructure
- promote federal incentives that ensure widespread and rapid adoption of an EV infrastructure
- establish NEMA EVSE Section as the information leader and respected resource for the market as the foremost expert on EVSE
- lead industry needs on EVSE systems relevant to power management and control, including communication with building energy management systems, and EVSE-to-EVSE communication
Section Product Scope
The scope of the Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment/Systems Section comprises products used in supplying power to electric vehicles covered in NEC Article 625 in residential and commercial applications.
Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment includes the electrical conductors and equipment external to the electric vehicle that provide a connection for an electric vehicle to a power source to provide electric vehicle charging. Products include:
Dedicated Level 1 Supply Equipment
Level 2 and DC Quick Charging (Level 3) Supply Equipment
Conductors and connectors specifically designed for use with Electric Vehicle Supply and charging equipment systems that connect the electric vehicle to the Level 2 and DC Quick Charging (Level 3) Supply Equipment
The Section Scope also includes communications and software for Electric Vehicle Supply and charging equipment systems.
The product scope excludes electrical conductors and components that have applications other than for use with electric vehicle supply and charging equipment/systems.
Section members develop technical standards and guidelines, influence government affairs and trade issues, and develop marketing programs for the benefit of users and manufacturers.
The product links to the left provide lists of product manufacturers and associated standards.
Membership in NEMA is open to any firm actively engaged in the manufacture in North America of a product within the NEMA scope and for sale in the open market. Membership of foreign firms is subject to product section policies and NEMA Board of Governors approval.
Associate membership is available to electric vehicle manufacturers, utilities, government agencies, members of the supply channel, universities, research institutes, and others interested in participating in a forum to expand the electric vehicle infrastructure in the United States and globally.
NEMA operates on a fee-for-service basis. Each product section establishes its projects and activities and approves an annual operating budget.
For more information on joining NEMA or this section, please see the membership center.