Forecasting and analytics for wind farms, “green” transformers and generators part of a wide range of wind power technology offerings
ABB, announced several major technological developments from the floor at the annual AWEA WINDPOWER 2012 conference and exhibition.
Roger Rosenqvist, ABB vice president, business development, will be making the case for offshore wind and HVDC in the US with a presentation highlighting ABB’s successful offshore wind applications around the world, entitled, “Case Studies of Offshore AC Substations and HVDC Converter Stations.” These case studies were presented on Wednesday, June 2 at the Georgia World Congress Center.
Technologies unveiled during AWEA Windpower 2011, at the ABB booth (#4709), include:
- Forecasting the Wind. Ventyx, an ABB company based in Atlanta, will be demonstrating its Ventyx Energy Portfolio Management (EPM) solutions, which focus on the siting, curtailment, and uncertainty of forecasting and valuation of wind generators. These EPM solutions assist in establishing the expected revenue/loss of wind farms, and determining how wind generators are impacted by load variations, outages, and other changes.
- IT/OT Convergence. ABB and Ventyx will be demonstrating the power industry’s latest and most comprehensive offering of integrated information and operations technology for wind.
- Demand Response. Ventyx will also be demonstrating its Demand Response Management System (DRMS) supports the commercial and retail utility operations that are required to deliver effective demand response programs, distributed energy management, and resource optimization for successful Smart Grid deployments.
- Wind Advisory Services.Ventyx advisors can help to identify, among other things, the transmission risks associated with particular wind sites, along with forecasting curtailments of wind energy due to existing transmission congestion or dispatch methodologies.
- EcoDry Transformers. EcoDry dry-type distribution transformers are “green” transformers that provide the inherent benefits of a dry type transformer, including fire safety and environmental friendliness (no fluid leakage) with ultra high efficiencies to provide a unique dry type solution for renewable energy applications.
- BIOTEMP® transformers. These “green” transformers contain a complete and sustainable transformer fluid solution for distribution and power transformers combining environmental friendliness (biodegradability), safety (superior fire resistance), reliability (longer lifetime), and efficiency (higher overload capacity) for many wind applications.
- Green-R-Pad™ distribution transformers. These “green” distribution transformers combine the benefits of amorphous metal cores for up to 70 percent lower no-load losses, with the benefits of BIOTEMP environmentally friendly transformer fluid, to provide the ultimate transformer solution for wind and other renewable energy applications.
- ABB low voltage drives. ABB will be offering a full line of wind turbine converter solutions covering the complete wind market, including small, community and utility-scale wind farms. These drives’ features include HW and SW functions for fault ride-through and grid code compliance. ABB also is providing new grid integration, with PC simulation models for utility compliance studies. ABB offers test facilities to validate compliance.