The National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) develops performance and other standards for its members in the electrical and medical imaging industries. NEMA crafts and executes advocacy campaigns and provides analytical products to assist member companies with business decisions.
The Senior Director - Communication is responsible for developing NEMA communication strategy and will contribute to NEMA strategic planning process. The Senior Director will develop a technically sound Association-wide communication plan to serve as authoritative advocacy guidance and a reservoir of unbiased information. The plan will also promote, enhance, and protect NEMA brand reputation.
The Senior Director will oversee effective integration of a broad range of public relations activities utilizing various communication products and services including: Media and public relations, organization websites, various social media channels, e-newsletters and other online communications, and traditional print materials. In addition to developing and implementing marketing strategies, the Senior Director will build and maintain enduring relationships with the media. A priority goal is to effectively use NEMA various media channels to advocate for, and advance the organization's positions with, relevant constituents in a consistently timely and coordinated manner.
The Senior Director - Communication, reporting directly to the President and CEO and serving as an integral member of the Senior Management team, will supervise a staff in addition to external independent contractor support.
The position is located at NEMA headquarters in Rosslyn, VA. Domestic travel (15 percent or less) may be required.
I. Communication Strategy, Vision, and Leadership
- Develop and implement an integrated, NEMA-wide communication strategy
- Create and promote a brand / marketing / public relations plan to target internal and external audiences, including the media, public officials, and key influencers
- Act as official NEMA spokesperson as required
- Create talking points for, and provide media coaching to, other NEMA Executives
II. Communication Operations
- Oversee and execute all copy (in print and online) and ensure alignment with strategy and NEMA positions
- Oversee the efficacy of multimedia platforms, particularly NEMA primary website presence and ensure coordinated message/content delivery across traditional and social media channels
- Create and oversee execution of focused, issue-specific advocacy campaigns as needed
- Develop appropriate tools to measure the effectiveness of all media channels
III. Supervise Assigned Personnel
- Direct, supervise, and evaluate employees, others as assigned, and contractors
- Create growth and development plans for assigned staff
- Provide oversight to, and ensure successful completion of, assigned meetings by subordinates
IV. Financial Management
- Construct, obtain approval, and manage budgets at/under threshold
- Oversee all contracts with vendors arising from the position's responsibilities
- Secure new sources of revenue, especially from non-members
Experience and Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree in public relations, marketing, or communications is required, a post-graduate degree is preferred.
- Deep experience (+10 years) working in a senior capacity managing a public affairs/communications office, association experience and issue campaign management strong pluses
- Proven ability, (i.e. demonstrable/documented experience) creating and executing effective communication plans that include leading-edge delivery methods
- Prior supervisory experience managing a communication/public affairs department
- Strong project management skills, adept at multi-tasking
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with top tier reporters and editors
- Extensive, successful writing and editing experience (externally focused) with a variety of print and online communications media
- Creative and thoughtful regarding how existing and new media technologies can be best utilized, proficiency working with social media tools required
- Confident, possess executive presence, proactive and collaborative team leader
NEMA offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package including paid holidays and personal time, flexible working hours, 401(k) plan, health/dental insurance, and partial pre-tax parking/Metro subsidy. Interested individuals should send a current resume, specifying salary requirements, to https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=14486841.
EOE/M/F/V/D. Veterans are encouraged to apply.
Industry Data Warehouse (IDW) Product Manager
Reports to: President
Industry Data Warehouse (IDW) enables manufacturers to securely share accurate and timely product and pricing data with distributors and other wholesale trading partners—in one place and one standardized electronic format.
The IDW Product Manager is responsible for product planning, development, implementation, and marketing. This includes managing the product throughout the product lifecycle, gathering and prioritizing product and customer requirements, defining the product vision, and working closely with standards and engineering to deliver the service. The IDW Product Manager will also work with sales, marketing, and support to ensure revenue and customer satisfaction goals are met and that the product's direction supports the company's overall strategy and goals.
- Define the product strategy and roadmap.
- Develop the core positioning and messaging for the product.
- Establish pricing models to meet revenue and profitability goals.
- Develop sales tools and collateral.
- Create and maintain an annual budget to ensure success.
- Brief and train the sales force and support staff.
- Brief press and analysts and go on press tours
- Be an expert with respect to the competition.
- Perform product demos for customers.
- Work with external third parties to assess partnerships and licensing opportunities.
- Act as a leader within the company.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years experience as a Product Manager or Product Marketing Manager.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- At least one product development example and sample of an effective document delivered in the past.
- Demonstrated success defining and launching products.
- Familiarity with the market for electrical products.
- Excellent teamwork skills.
- Must be able to travel up to 25% of the time.
If you are interested in, and qualify for, this position, please forward a cover letter and resume to